- Hinsdale Transition Center
Information about Proposed Shift to Early Release Wednesdays
During its meeting on March 10, the District 86 Board of Education talked about a proposed three-year calendar that covers the 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 school years. One of the main changes being recommended is the conversion of all Late Arrival Mondays and Flex Learning Wednesdays into Early Release Wednesdays.
The anticipated benefits of making this change include:
- A more consistent schedule for students and families (same start time and release time for all professional learning days).
- Class time that will be better balanced throughout the day. During Late Start Mondays, several periods have classes that are 10 minutes shorter than the lunch periods.
- No impact on Early Bird classes/schedules.
- Consistent time for professional learning and course team collaboration that is focused on advancing the work of the strategic plan.
- Opportunities to expand MTSS/intervention services on Wednesday afternoons.
The anticipated disadvantages of making this change include:
- Challenges of supervising student-athletes from 1-3 p.m.
- Fewer opportunities to have larger chunks of time for professional development.
- The possibility that the schedule for the Technology Center of DuPage may not align.
Some of our families have expressed concern that this change will result in a significant decrease in instructional time. Per the chart below (click on it to open a larger version), which was shared during the meeting, shifting to Early Release Wednesdays would reduce instructional minutes by a total of one hour for the entire school year.
The board members were scheduled to take action on the proposed three-year calendar during their meeting on March 24. However, they decided to move the vote to one of their meetings in April so that families would have additional time to review the recommendations and provide feedback. If you would like to share your thoughts/feedback on Early Release Wednesdays or other aspects of the calendar, please email Dr. Chris Covino at firstname.lastname@example.org.