24 Hour Attendance Line
Use this number to report all absences, including late arrival and early dismissal.
Failure to call within 24 hours of the absence will result in an unexcused absence.
If you have any questions regarding your students attendance, please contact your students Dean.
Click on the Dean of Students link if you need assistance.
Attendance Policies and Procedures
The health and well-being of our community remains a top priority. Our District is committed to being as prepared as possible and thus provides the following updates on our health procedures. Access the Health Service COVID-19 web site for more information on the IDPH COVID-19 Exclusion Guidance that is in effect for any student who is:
- EXPERIENCING ANY COVID-19 SYMPTOM
- TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19
- EXPOSED IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19 SYMPTOMS
- EXPOSED TO SOMEONE SUSPECTED OF HAVING COVID-19
- EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WHO HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19
Regular attendance and punctuality are essential for academic growth and development. Hinsdale Central High School expects that each student attends his or her classes every day. Since class participation affects class achievement, absences, whether excused or unexcused, may have a negative impact on learning and the grade earned in class. Section 26-2a of the Illinois School Code and Board Policy 7:70, considers VALID CAUSE for a student’s absence to be considered excused.
Students can be excused from a full day of school for the following reasons:
- Illness (no medical note is necessary unless a student gets to the “excessive absence” category. Refer to “EXCESSIVE ABSENCES”.)
- Family emergency
- Death in the immediate family
- Court dates
- Observance of a religious holiday
- College visits – when Pre-Arranged Absence procedures are followed (link to form)
- Circumstances which cause reasonable concern to the parent/guardian for the mental, emotional, or physical health or safety of the student
- Other situations beyond the control of the students as determined by the Board of Education
Pre-Arranged Absences (link to form)
Pre-Arranged Absence forms may be obtained on the school website. The form must be filled out properly and submitted to the Deans’ Office two (2) days before the absence in order for it to be excused. Parents or guardians will need to contact the Attendance Office in order to verify the absence. If the form and documentation are not turned in for college visits, the absence will be considered unexcused and counted in determining excessive absences. Participation in a non-school related competitive activity or sport are not recommended when school is in session and will be considered unexcused and counted towards excessive absences if the form and documentation is not turned in. The form needs to be filled out for the following absences and documentation that supports the request for the absence:
- College Visits
- Participation in a non-school related competitive activity or sport
In order to comply with School Code, the school reserves the right to determine if an absence is excused. The school considers the following reasons as examples of absences without valid cause, thereby resulting in an unexcused absence.
- Car trouble
- “Cutting” class
- Missing the bus
- Missing one class to study for another or make-up test and quizzes
- Extending Prom Weekend
- Resting or preparing for special events
- Senior Ditch Day
The above list is used for illustrative purposes only and is not to be considered inclusive.
Make-up Work Due to an Unexcused Absence
Students marked UPC – Unexcused Parent Call
- If a student has an unexcused absence from class on a day when a test/quiz or assignment is due, the student must turn in the assignment the next school day or take the test/quiz the next school day. Teachers have the option to give an alternative assessment.
Students marked TRU – Truant
- The student may only receive a maximum of 75% on any class assignments or assessments and may be subject to disciplinary consequences.
First Student Bus Company