What is SOPPA?
The Student Online Personal Protection Act is a new data privacy that goes into effect on July 1, 2021. Websites, online services, and mobile apps that are designed, marketed, and used for K–12 school purposes must comply with SOPPA regardless of whether they have a contract with a school or district.
What does it mean to be SOPPA-compliant?
If a vendor states that they are SOPPA-compliant, that means that they are:
- Not using collected data to provide targeted ads;
- Not profiling students except in furtherance of school purposes;
- Not selling or renting student information;
- Not disclosing information unless required to by law or as part of the maintenance and development of its service;
- Using sound security practices;
- Deleting student data when requested by the school or district;
- Entered into a written agreement with the school district.