National World Language Exam Contest Information
Below is information and links to the national language contests for each world language. Students should consult with their teachers to see if they are eligible to participate in the contest and/or they have any questions. Eligible students will receive registration information via email from their teachers with current year's deadlines and test fee information.
National French Exam
- Informatoin about the test: https://www.frenchteachers.org/concours/gc_about/gc_specs.html
- Practice and Preparation https://www.proprofs.com/training/course/?title=copy-of-review-materials_5d5c6f02adf45
- National Prizes-Teachers will receive medals for students in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze.
- Chicago Chapter Prizes-One top scoring student will receive a 2 week scholarship to Concordia Language Villages summer 2 week immersion camp (http://www.concordialanguagevillages.org/youth-languages/french-language-village/les-voyageurs) sponsored by the Swiss Benevolent Society.
- Local Prizes-Each teacher will receive an electronic gift certificate to purchase prizes/awards for their students The top scoring students in each level will receive a Grand Concours t-shirt.
National German Exam
- Information about the test: https://www.aatg.org/page/NGE
- Practice and preparation : https://www.aatg.org/page/NGEPracExams
- If you have any additional questions about the test, please direct them to your German teacher.
- Prizes: Qualifying level 2, 3, and 4 students in the 90th percentile can apply for the AATG/PAD Study Trip Awards, a four-week study trip program to Germany.Local PrizesAll Gold, Silver, and Bronze Award Winners are honored in the Presidential Honor Roll as well as District 86 newsletter publications.
National Latin Exam
- Previous exams for your level here: https://www.nle.org/Exams/Information#previousexam
- Practice and prepare using the Practice App: https://www.nle.org/Exams/Online-Practice-App
- Awards on all of the exams are based upon the annual, national average for each separate exam.
- Perfect paper: hand-lettered certificate
- Gold medal and a summa cum laude certificate awarded to top scorers
- Silver medal and maxima cum laude certificate to second-place winners
- Magna cum laude certificate to third-place winners
- Cum laude certificate to fourth-place winners
- The names of winners of Perfect Papers and Gold Medals will be published in Torch U.S., the publication of the National Junior Classical League.
- Special Awards: New Special Book Awards
- Students who earn 4 + Gold medals on different exams will receive a Loeb edition or other choice (from several options
- Students with 3+ Perfect Papers will receive The Oxford Companion to Classical Literature (3), The Oxford Classical Dictionary (4), or the Oxford Latin Dictionary (5)
National Spanish Exam
- Information about the test: https://www.nationalspanishexam.org/index.php/exam-preparation/test-preparation-requirements
- Practice and preparation: https://www.nationalspanishexam.org/index.php/exam-preparation/past-examinations
- National Awards and Scholarships
- High school Seniors scoring above the 75th percentile are eligible to apply for the Senior Scholarships.
- High school Juniors scoring above the 75th percentile are eligible to apply for the Junior Travel Awards.
- Students in Grades 8, 9 or 10 scoring above the 75th percentile are eligible to apply for the Global Citizen Scholarships.
- Chicago Chapter Prizes: Traditionally, prizes range from $50-$100 cash to each of the top ten local (Chicago chapter) scorers in each category.
- National Recognition
- Premio de Oro - students scoring at or above the 95th percentile.
- Premio de Plata - students scoring from the 85th through the 94th percentiles.
- Premio de Bronce - students scoring from the 75th through the 84th percentiles.
- Mención Honorífica - students scoring from the 50th through the 74th percentiles.Chicago Chapter Prizes: Traditionally, prizes range from $50-$100 cash to each of the top ten local (Chicago chapter) scorers in each category.