Required Summer Reading
Students must read the book or books listed here that correspond to the English class that they will be taking during the 2017-2018 school year. During the first week of school, English teachers will be conducting lessons related to these books that may include quizzes, tests, graded discussions, and other assessments. Students should bring copies of these books to class on the first day of school. We have notified local bookstores about this reading program, and they will have titles available for purchase throughout the summer. In addition, Indian Prairie Public Library and other local libraries should have extra copies of these titles. Parents may want to read along with their students.
Sponsored by The West Suburban Options Fair Consortium
Gift of Failure author Jessica Lahey to appear November 16 and 17
Thursday, October 19, 2017
- The fall musical, Legally Blonde is looking for a tech run crew starting October 23rd until November 5th. If you are interested, see Mr. Yuska in Room 261 for the calendar.
- The girls gymnastics season is starting soon. Anyone interested come to open gyms after school Wednesday or Friday. Proper workout attire required.
- Reminder to all Yarning For A Cause Club members we will be meeting TODAY, Thursday, October 19th, right after school. Bring your projects and bring a friend! See you there!
- Attention, AP students! This is a reminder to attend the Stress Management and Therapy Dog presentation tomorrow (Friday) during 3rd period in the Auditorium if you have already signed up. If you forgot to sign up but are interested in SHAPE, make sure to be on the lookout soon for information regarding our November session on Mindfulness, Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, GRIT, and the Mood Meter!
- Congrats to the Boys’ Cross Country Team for their performance at Conference on Monday. Top 16 All-Conference finishers in their respective races were Brett Haffner (varsity), Will Hogan (junior varsity), Josh Baron, Jayden Arquines, and David Roloff (sophomore), and Umair Arshad (freshman). Special congratulations to the sophomore team for placing 2nd. Saturday the Hornets will run the Regional Meet at 1 PM at Midlothian Meadows Forest Preserve in Midlothian.
- Looking for a good book? Come to the library and get a FREE copy of one of Julie Murphy’s books – Read it, sign it, and pass it along. Want to meet author Julie Murphy on November 9th? Come to the library to sign up, or go to the library website.
- With Veterans Day coming up soon, the Hornets for Wounded Warriors will be selling camo bandanas in front of the cafeteria during lunch next week, Oct 16-20. Wear these to the game against Hinsdale Central that Friday night. Come and show your support for both the Hornets and our returned veterans. All proceeds will be donated to the GI GO Fund.
- Are you an author? Do you want to be? Submit your original short stories, fan-fiction, and poetry/song lyrics to Indian Prairie Library’s WRITE-ON contest for a chance to win a cash prize! Entry forms available at Indian Prairie Library and writeon.ippl.info. Winners to be announced Nov. 9th. Questions? Come to the HSHS Library.
- There is a preseason meeting for Wrestling on Monday, 10/23, at 7:30 am in the Wrestling Room. We are also looking for wrestling score keepers and managers for the season. Please see Coach Gleixner or Ms. Craig in Room 122, if you have any question.